Here's a few simple fun facts related to cakes
1. How many Battenburgs does mr Kipling make?
When you are ready for that afternoon cuppa you cant beat one of Mr Kiplings cakes, whether it’s a Fondant Fancy, Angel Cake or a Bramley Apple Pie, but did you know in Mr Kiplings Yorkshire cake plant he makes 93 battenburgs a min?
2. Who created the Chelsea Bun?
The Chelsea Bun, a mixture of sticky dough, mixed spice, raisins, cinnamon and lemon was created in the 18th century by the Chelsea Bun House based on the Chelsea/ Pimlico borders.
3. Who was the Pavlova named after?
The sweet, meringue Pavlova was named after the famous Russian Ballerina Anna Pavlova(1881 -1931).
4. Is a Jaffa Cake a cake or a biscuit?
If you have ever had an unresolved argument with your friends as to whether a Jaffa cake is a cake or a biscuit. I can confirm that the court The court found in favour of McVitie’s and stated that, legally, Jaffa Cakes are considered a cake, which means that McVitie’s doesn’t have to pay VAT on Jaffa Cakes in the UK.
5. Who holds the record for eating the most doughnuts?
The record for eating the most glazed doughnuts is held by Eric Booker in 2002 who ate 49 in 8 mins.
6. Did you know that June 22nd is National Chocolate Éclair day.
7. Why is it good to cook your Hot Cross Buns on Good Friday?
English Folklore tells us that Hot Cross Buns cooked on Good Friday will not spoil or go mouldy for the following year.
8. Why do we use the term stirring the pot?
Stirring the pot is a term we use when someone seems to be bringing up things that will cause problems. The term comes from the idea of stirring a pan of ingredients to bring things to the surface in order to affect change.
9. Do you love fresh flowers on a cake?
Before you put fresh flowers on your cake for decoration ensure you know your flowers as many are poisonous to people. For example the very popular Baby’s Breath is toxic and may cause skin irritation, vomiting and diarrhea. Always consult with your florist.
10. A simple fact, there are 12 ingredients in my delicious chocolate cake, keep an eye out for future blog posts where I will share this recipe with you.
I would love to hear any cake related facts you might have to share, why not leave them in the comments...