There are numerous occasions when a shop brought cake is the perfect solution, usually when I’m super busy and fancy a quick something to go with my cuppa tea. But when it comes to a birthday cake, I believe you can’t beat a homemade cake. Here are my 8
reasons why I believe that to be the case.
Get to know your ingredients:
1. When I make a cake, I know exactly what ingredients are going into my cake. I can keep the ingredients simple and as additive free as possible with the best cakes being made from simple ingredients, eggs, sugar, flour, butter.
Just like supermarkets I can let my customers know what is included in their cakes but rest assured my list will never look like this.
Taken from the back of a Tesco triple layer chocolate cake.
INGREDIENTS: Sugar, Wheat Flour [Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin], Pasteurised Egg, Dark Chocolate (9%) [Cocoa Mass, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Butteroil (Milk), Emulsifier (Soya Lecithins), Flavouring, Vanilla Extract], Milk Chocolate (8%) [Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Dried Whole Milk, Cocoa Mass, Whey Powder (Milk), Milk Sugar, Emulsifier (Soya Lecithins), Flavouring, Vanilla Extract], Rapeseed Oil, Butter (Milk), Humectant (Glycerol), Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder, Single Cream (Milk), Partially Inverted Sugar Syrup, Dried Glucose Syrup, Glucose Syrup, Maize Starch, Raising Agents (Disodium Diphosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Emulsifiers (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids, Polyglycerol Esters of Fatty Acids, Sodium Stearoyl-2-Lactylate), Dried Egg White, Preservative (Sorbic Acid), Acidity Regulators (Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid), Salt.
Expand your options:
2. When you enter the supermarket to buy your birthday you will find you have a very limited range of flavours, traditionally you can buy chocolate, vanilla, carrot, lemon and salted caramel, with the ocassional exception.
When you get a homemade cake the selection of flavours available to you considerably increases for example
White chocolate and Raspberry- Vanilla–. Chocolate cream - Oreo cookies–Mascarpone filling–Lemon–Coffee and walnut–Passion fruit– Pecan– Peanut butter– Strawberry - Biscoff– Banana caramel–Turkish Delight–. Apple Cider–Mojito– Coconut–Baileys–Champagne Strawberry–Salted caramel– Chocolate Orange–Cream cheese–Cherry– Pistachio cream–Cookie dough–Gingerbread–Mixed Spice–Blueberry & Lemon – . Twix–Fresh cream
Keeping it unique:
3. Supermarkets mass produce their cakes. They can turn out their cakes in the thousands. This will always keep their costs down. However what they can’t do in the thousands is have thousands of different designs. As a home baker I can create unique products everytime I make a cake, this includes, design flavours and fillings.Never forego the quality:
It’s simply fresher:
4. When you buy a supermarket cake you can read on the box when you need to eat it by but not when it was made. You will never get fresher than a homemade cake made specifically for consumption within a few days.
Made with Care:
5. As a home baker creating the perfect cake for your birthday is a matter of pride. It is important that great care is taken at every stage, from prepping the home to ensure all health & safety standards are met to insuring the cake looks and taste exactly as you imagine it will. This level of care cannot be reproduced by the supermarkets.
Made with Love:
6. I would go one step further and say that as a home baker the vital ingredient in all of my cakes is that they are made with love. It is important to me that the recipient of each of my cakes are emotionally connected to their cakes, whether that is by invoking memories, by making people laugh, by making people feel cared for. A bespoke experience that the supermarkets simply can’t recreate.
Contributing to your local community;
7. Slightly less emotional but equally important, by choosing to get your birthday cakes from your local home baker you are showing your support for small local businesses.
Because you're worth it!
8. Finally can I just say you really don’t need to justify your decision to buy from a home baker, just know you deserve it – Because you’re worth it……